Of Queens and Qissas: Usman T. Malik's 'City of Red Midnight' makes a good case for oral story telling

“I am the Queen of Red Midnight,” says she, “and I pound at the rotten core of the world.”

Well then.

I’ve been saying for years that Usman Tanveer Malik’s stories make no sense. I said it back when I read Vaporization Enthalpy, my first encounter with Malik’s works, and also when I read The Pauper Prince, both wonderful tales and yet also wonderfully bizarre. But it seems time and age have managed to wrangle some sense into his writings, because in Red Midnight Malik’s abilities to deliver on the intricacies of his universe have finally emerged. The twist ending in itself was worth the read, but that wasn’t the only pleasurable thing about the tale itself.

First, of course, was the discovery of the absolute polish in the writing. I remember experiencing this phenomenon back when I read Kamila Shamsie’s first book, the very weak In the City by the Sea, which completely lacked the charm and literary expertise that her later novels such as Burnt Shadows would show. But the difference with Shamsie was that I started with her better books and later read her older, weaker works, which resulted only in a sense of disappointment. In Malik’s case, I’m moving in chronological order, which means that it’s a joy to notice the elegance and skill he has clearly honed over his writing in the last few years. I do wish his editor had restrained his slightly more pretentious impulses (homunculus, apotropaic, micturition. For god’s sake.) but overall such an improvement.

They tell you many things, but they don’t tell you absence makes the heart grow older. Ghostly. As if one of your what-might-have-been lives just evaporated.

Also, of course, is the ever-present sense of locality that I love. Malik’s works are unabashedly desi, and as a reader always eager to find well-written fiction set in the cities I know and love, I’m glad to see familiar references (the shrine of Data Ganj Baksh or the River Ravi, for example) threaded in throughout the story. Written in the form of stories-within-stories, Malik introduces us to the narrative through a weary traveler settling in for a cup of tea at a late-night tea shop in Lahore with his friends from abroad.

Thirteen years in the US, away from the city with hardly a visit, and now, gun to his head, he couldn’t take them to more than a few landmarks. Lahore had rearranged itself, indifferent to his memories.

Joined in by a man claiming to be an oral story-teller, the tale rearranges itself into a man’s story leading to a woman’s story leading to the story of a goddess-like figure within the tale, all of them unwinding back to the original group one by one as the story unfolds. It’s hard to say whether the Urdu word ‘Hikayat’ helps to define this particular form of storytelling, since all I remember of the definition of the word is a vague sense memory of the word ‘tale’ or ‘story’ or, even more specifically, ‘dastaan’, a very specific form of storytelling which connects to Malik’s tale in its similar threads of oral storytelling, so let’s assume that that’s what the author was aiming for in his winding, overlapping narrative.

“How shall it matter what I want?” I said. “For a woman’s want alone changes neither her fate nor her fortune.”

Overall, I’m a big fan of the complexities of the characters, and particularly of how the cruelty of men towards the women in their lives is a recurring theme. Even though overall I didn’t care much for the narrative, which lacked the sort of solid, captivating main characters that I prefer in books I love, the writing style and the themes slowly grew on me. Luckily, Malik kept enough twists later on in the tale to ensure that I enjoyed the tale more than I had expected after the first few paragraphs. And of course, the barely contained rage of the women in the story towards their male keepers was always a great reason to keep reading.   

All these men with their starched turbans and silver seals want a witness when a woman reports maltreatment. But have her walk the street, head uncovered, and preachers and counselors pour out of rat holes, a hundred recriminations in hand. Have her complain about shabby shoes or threadbare clothes and she’s a squanderer. Have her try to earn a few extra dirhams washing out men’s filth at the bathhouse and she is a harlot.

Men are each other’s brothers and keepers. A woman needs a witness.

I will admit, I was a bit surprised at the vivid sexuality of the characters in this story. I’m not sure if I’m remembering this right or if Malik’s earlier works were much more restrained, and that’s the reason I’m so taken aback. Mostly, I expect Pakistani authors to be the definition of prudish, an unspoken rule which the lesser-known authors stick to but the more famous ones ignore with impunity (anything by Mohsin Hamid or Kamila Shamsie will shatter that perspective quickly). Malik is clearly shedding a metaphorical layer of modesty in crafting his characters (although I might have to re-read his other stories to be sure), in quite an interesting turn of events.

I gave up the shawl of modesty and bought with it notoriety. I kissed men at dusk and women at midnight. At first, a few times a month, then every week, and eventually every night.

Overall, a solid tale, if not absolutely mind-blowing. It’s not as short as a short story usually is, but it keeps flowing forward swiftly enough to prevent boredom. The only problem I had overall, and a small, niggling problem it was, was the usage of Urdu words as proper nouns, such as Baba Kahani, or Dawakhana. I can’t decide if I find this behaviour charming, a gleeful sort of desi nudge-nudge-wink-wink to the Urdu reader who will have a greater sense of context than the average non-Urdu speaker, or just plain pretentiousness, because a direct translation of words from one language to another is not really the brilliant literary quirk that these authors (Pakistan-born author Sabaa Tahr used this to an irritating degree in her ‘Ember in Ashes’ series) seem to think it is.

Using words from one language (say, Urdu, in this context) while telling a story in another (English, here) is, I’m assuming, a debate that has been ongoing in different literary circles. I remember first encountering it in a Julian Barnes novel and being both fascinated and horrified. New words from another language! But also, what in the world did they mean?! Pakistani writers have tried to circumvent this problem by italicizing the Urdu words they use in their English language books, an issue I’ve been talking about for ages. Thankfully, Malik doesn’t attempt to italicize his text to pander for a white audience, but I’m holding out my vote on how I feel about the sort of lazy writing where you just label a man who tells stories as Baba Kahani and dust your hands off the whole thing. I’m not sure I’d label Malik’s writing as lazy, so it stands to reason that the debate can wait until I can engage with someone who can give me convincing reasons for why this particular habit seems to be finding fans among desi writers.

Besides this random and mostly not relevant problem, this tale is easy to recommend. Representative of a proper Pakistani setting, with good writing, and a great ending, I’m glad to see that Malik’s writing is only getting better with time. Honestly, with the kind of stuff he’s writing, I’m only eager to see what other supernatural creatures he can introduce us to.

“No son of Adam can help me, nor any daughter of Eve.”

“It is a good thing then that I am neither,” Zulaikha answered.