Of Possession and Potential: Mehak Khan's 'Jinns' was exciting until it wasn't

Cover Art - Winter 2022 Issue
I started out this story feeling really excited, because the first few sentences told me immediately that if nothing else, at least the writing carried promise. This happens sometimes, when it’s possible to tell within a few lines whether the author can carry the weight of a tale or not. Identifying competence in the written word, especially in Pakistani fiction, is always a moment of excitement, because here is an author worth following. And it helped that the story was based on a really cool concept.

“The rules are quite clear,” wo whispers. “Woman falls asleep under tree, jinn can enter. And the path is clear—through the woman’s long hair. You seem to be woman, yet your hair…”

A girl sitting under a tree and a jinn trying to occupy her body are tales literally every single female I know heard growing up. Little girls encouraged to come inside immediately once the Maghreb azaan was audible, women told not to open their tightly-bound braids when they’re outside at night, or not sit under trees, or not venture into shaded, branch-covered areas: all these rules and regulations stemmed from the same belief that the feminine body somehow acted as a greater siren for the wandering jinn, who would take the opportunity to hop, skim, and jump into the nearest female vessel as soon as the sun set. I hadn’t seen this particular myth reflected in literature yet, which is why the premise felt so new and interesting, and I wanted to see where it would go.

“Dude are you a fuckboy or a jinn? What kind of trip am I on? And are you going to possess me and throw me in a river or something?”

Unfortunately, I wasn’t too impressed. The setting felt fantastical enough, and the premise carried potential, but the execution was so boring. There was no suspense, no give and take, no plot building worth tracking. What we did have was a mostly irritating, essentially pointless conversation with dropped hints about characters in our protagonist’s past that didn't amount to anything, and multiple usages of the words ‘dude’ and ‘man’ that made me roll my eyes. I think what I wanted was some old school magic, a nefarious deal struck or ill intentions revealed and thwarted. The sort of stories that draw you in and leave you feeling satisfied at the turn around. Instead, what I got was pomp and conceit in the form of Kant and Nietzche.

“Oh no, only you, the true Kantian subject capable of ethical decision-making, able to hold the aesthetic of the sublime douchebag atop your ego-ideal mountain, can have thoughts. Far be it for me to have interiority, because Nietzsche said GOD IS DEAD—”

I honestly believe that out of the multiple Pakistani authors I have read, the only one who manages to get away with making their stories weird and inexplicable is Usman T Malik, and even he took his sweet time honing his craft before he perfected it. This was a short story that seemed to carry a probability of greatness, but mostly squandered it on meaningless rhapsodizing and a plotline that could have been much more streamlined than it was. And honestly, it wouldn’t be a Tasavvur story without at least one example of messed-up editing, so here we had one random word written in the past tense while the rest of the story was firmly in the present.

“Well?” wo spoke.

At this point, I’ve just embraced it. Weakly edited stories with spelling mistakes, punctuation errors, faults in tenses and combined adjectives, and other such problems are mostly the norm for all pieces published in this South Asian anthology of writing. Who knows, maybe it’s one of their requirements.

Given that this is the last Tasavvur story I’m reviewing for now, having already read plenty of others over the past few months, I’ve decided to make my peace with it. Overall, we had access to stories that sometimes lead nowhere and sometimes carried the tinge of promise. Science fiction and fantasy and the supernatural, all carried equal weight in this online grouping of texts, and while some were good and some were bad, I just really, really wish they would hire a better editor.  

 

Jinns by Mehak Khan was published in Issue 001 (Winter 2022) of Tasavvur, an online portal for South Asian writing. The remaining reviews for other Tasavvur stories by Pakistani authors can be found here.